SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Mono CCD?

Carbon60

Help please......

My primary interest is in solar H-alpha imaging.

I'm looking to upgrade from webcam to .....not sure what. I've seen good results from DMK cameras, but there's a choice of model and all seem to have pro's and cons. Other cameras are also available, of course, and there is a hec of a price range. My preference (I think) is DMK 41, as this gives a good balance of frame rate, CCD area and good resolution.

Advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Stu.

Thanks Guys,

I'll be using a modified PST (with Vixen 80) when I get the parts back from the machine shop (cut down tube and a custom adapter). All being well I should get these tomorrow and then all I need is the D-ERF!! Oh, and a better CCD.

BTW thanks for the mod info Ken.

Slowly building up my kit and capability as funds become available.

So with this, I believe the DMK 41 should be OK.....right?

I'll certainly check out Peter's images.

Thanks for the advice.

Stu.

DMK41 is the most common solution. It only weaknes is that those chips used in 21/31/41 aren't that sensitive in H-alpha/IR as other can be. Some solar Ha-imagers with bigger H-a scopes choose ExView ccds - ICX445 (PGR Chameleon or other), Grashopper (ICX285) and so on. There is a change that TIS will make a DMK with ICX445 in "close" future. DMK21 with ICX618 is expected at the end of summer.

DMK41 is the most common solution. It only weaknes is that those chips used in 21/31/41 aren't that sensitive in H-alpha/IR as other can be.

Sensitivity isn't that much of an issue; the low frame rate can be, when working at larger image scales. The DMK21 is excellent at large image scales but the small chip is a real pain for smaller scale images, making mosaicing much more complex. The DMK31 is a good compromise.

The Lumenera Skynyx cameras are essentially unavailable in the UK & very expensive indeed to import. Basler Ace has known serious issues which aren't getting fixed, and the Point Grey Research cameras also have software issues - which are overcomeable but not by users with average Windows skills.

Yes, TIS is freely available and cheap. Basler Ace has some problems with planetary imaging, GigE is bit annoying, but in general it works quite nice. For PointGrey I don't know what software people use but it's rather working. On cloudynights in the solar section the PGRs are quite common.

But newer and newer cameras are showing up, and only the best will survive. Boutique Pierro-Astro' - Webcams Astronomiques - this may turn out nice :D

Archived