Beginner with first scope.

A quick question about the Telrad. I just got it out of the box to see if it was working ok and I can't see the bullseye target reticule through the sight.

I took the top off and looked inside and could see the reticule there but not through the sight (this was when I was just hand holding it) will it appear when mounted on the scope ? Thanks.

Won't make any difference when mounted on the scope - BUT - if you were looking during daylight the rings probably won't be visible - even if skies are cloudy tonight, take it outside and turn it on - you should see the bullseye ok

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I was checking it out I took it out in the dark but there was no targeting reticule. I could see it inside the device though when I slid the top cover off.

First, silly question - did you turn the on/off control all the way clockwise, it gradually brightens to maximum when it is aproximately upright. This allows you dim the bullseye when targeting dim stars.

Assuminmg the above when looking in the screen you need to have your your eye-line approximately parallel with the telrad. Just move your head about until the target circles come into view.

HTH, good luck.

Telrad now sorted. I opened it up, ditched the batteries I was using and stuck down the battery holder with a blob of blu tack, tried it on my scope and it worked.

Just been out on the backyard to do a bit of observing and after admiring the wonder that is Saturn again ( and 3 moons clearly) I set about trying to find M13.

It took me about 40 minutes to find it I would say. I picked it up in the binos at first, a very faint grey smudge, and then tried to find the spot with Telrad and my finder scope.

After much aiming and nudging I got it in my sights and through the supplied 25mm eyepiece it looked like a bold, round, grey smudge. I switched to the 10mm eyepiece which also came with the scope but I couldn't quite get it into focus to pick out more detail (maybe I need a different eyepiece for this ? )

Overall I was well chuffed to find my first DSO with stellarium, binos and a bit of patience ;)

a baader hyperion 8mm would go well, its a bit more magnification, but a wider field of view...so in other words it zooms in but you go from looking through a postage stamp sized hole to an A4 sized hole (not accurate dimentions, but you get the idea).

for looking at deep space objects (DSO's) i.e. nebula, galaxies a 5-8mm wide field EP will be the most you will ever need, i would look at getting a 5-8mm EP, a 12-15mm EP and a 20-25mm EP as standard kit, for now keep the supplied 25mm and look at 15mm and 8mm EP's.

price wise expect to pay from £70 to £300 for EP's, the wider the field of view, the longer the focal length (i.e. +>32mmEP's) expect to pay more, if you have any EP questions try looking around in the first couple of stickys in the beginers section.

also look at getting the book Turn left at Orion...very good book, will help you find stuff really quickly!

Hi,

Glad to hear you had success tracking down you first DSO, great isn't it ;)

To assist you might find these maps helpful.

They show the Messier items with telrad circles superimposed.

Are you aware that you can show a telrad target on Stellarium?

Good luck.

I didn't know about the Telrad/stellarium thing.

I downloaded some maps yesterday and also I've got Turn Left At Orion which is a great book.

Telrad needs mounting permanently now, shame it doesn't fit between the finderscope and eyepiece.

Archived