Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any ideas for a widefield imaging attempt tonight?

Digz

As the title says really.

Im itching to try out some guided widefield imaging tonight if the wind dies down but Im at a loss as to what to try and image, especially as the Milkyway isn't showing yet.

I can try a range of focal lengths from 10mm through to 500mm but ideally Id like to be looking at either 200mm or 400mm as I have a good 70-200 lens and 400 prime.

Thoughts appreciated :)

I used my new 200mm lens last week to do a few targets...

The 'realm of galxies' in Virgo is a great widefield target. I sent the go-to to M86 and set it going, I think there were about 30+ galaxies visible in just half an hour of data.

If you don't mind staying up a little later a few Milkyway targets are coming up... I did NGC7000 (the North American nebula) and IC1396 (the nebulous area that includes the Elephant trunk etc) and got both done by 1:30am.

If I get a chance this week I'm going to re-visit IC1396, even at f2.8 40mins wasn't long enough, really needs a couple of hours.

Good luck, and have fun!!!

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the input. Just checked out M86 in Stellarium and there is a load of fuzzies with it. Looks like Ive found tonights candidate :)

I cant wait until the North America Nebula is up earlier....

Take a look at my shot on the Deepsky imaging forum (titled 'realm of galaxies widefield' or similar) as the framing probably wasn't great and you may get more by centering it on something else?

Anyway, you can't go far wrong in that area as there are just so many galaxies :-)

Ben

Archived