Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting an image

cyborg421

I tried to use my webcam last night. I managed to get some images of Saturn, although not very good but I could not seem to get any images of M3. I could not detect any stars even though I tried adjusting all the settings, brightness/gain etc. I was using Sharpcap. Am I doing something wrong or being too ambitious?

Simon

Hi Simon - I'm assuming you're using a phillips webcam (spc880/900?). I think you've already suspected what might be the issue here...

The webcam is fine for planetary imaging as planets are very bright and they take many very short frames/second so that when each frame of the AVI is stacked up, it removes the variations in atmospheric seeing... However, for DSO's, you really need longer exposures, which a "standard" webcam won't give you. They can be modified though to give you longer exposures (an LX mod or 1.5 if memory serves).

So in summary, you're not doing anything wrong, but I would say trying to be a little too ambitious with the webcam - They're best on planets and the moon.

Archived