SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M64 & M65

SoulFrenzy

I have an Orion XT8 with a 35 mm lens and I was trying to find them last night. I think I did but not certain. Is it possible to have both of these in the same FOV and how faint might they be? It was almost two faint faint smudges in my scope. Is my scope even capable of seeing them any better?

Do you mean M65 and M66. M64 is the black eye galaxy in Coma Berenices. M65 and M66 are better known as the Leo triplet with NGC 3628 making up the third. You will defiantly be able to fit these in the same FOV and should all be visible as faint grey smudges in your scope. Light pollution may however play a part in how faint they are. The non messier galaxy should be the faintest. the Leo triplet is found probably 2 FOV distances bellow the star Chertan in Leo.

They are a lovely sight in the eyepieces.

there are also some lovely images of them in the deep sky imaging section (use the search function)

I hope you can get out to observe them again soon.

Archived