Finders but which one?

Hi All,

I was about to get a new finder for my skywatcher 150p, I was almost sold on the 90' 9x50 raci, but then have been told about the Telrad finder with its 1/2', 2' and 4' circles which help to "star hop" and then have seen the Rigel Quickfinder which is similar to the telrad.

I was going for the 90' 9x50 raci as it will be easier on the neck when looking for stuff directly above, Are the Telrad and the Rigel any good for overhead objects or will bad neck still occur?

Or does anyone use a combination of both types?

Kev.

I've found having both types of finders works best for me. I fitted a 9x50 and a Telrad to my 150PL OTA.

I put the Telrad where the standard finder was fitted and the 9x50 outside of this. I tried fitting the 9x50 where the standard finder was with the Telrad outside of it but it just wasn't comfortable to use. Moving the standard dovetail bracket over is a very simple job and just requires drilling two little mounting holes.

The Telrad makes it easy to get near to your target and the 9x50 RA makes it easy to zero in on your target.

Here's a couple of photos showing how it all fits.

John

that looks quite good, did you use a different mount for the 9x50?

I swapped the white mounting foot for a black one as it matched the Orion 9x50 finder and WO bracket. You could always get the new Skywatcher 9x50 RA black finder that comes with a white bracket and keep the standard white dovetail foot.

John

BTW I modded the WO bracket by fitting a Synta type bottom to it so that it would fit into any standard Synta/SkyWatcher mounting foot.

I put a Quikfinder on my SW 250, although with my placement I seemed to keep on breathing on the finderscope and fogging it up; then fairly I recently changed the straight-through finder for a RACI - much easier on my back (and I don't fog it up). Good combination for me.

Allan

Is there a right angle adaptor that would fit on the skyliner 200p finder? And would this stop the image being reversed / upside down

While it is possible to make this conversion it requires you to shorten the tube of the straight through finder to compensate for the additional optical length of the diagonal. Then of course there's the price of the erecting diagonal.

It's more practical to sell the straight through finder and just buy the RA one.

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/SkyWatcher_9x50_Right_Angled_Erect_Image_Finder___Bracket.html

John

Archived