SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Software for Starlight Xpress MX716?

Hi,

I'm using an ancient MX716 CCD (parallel port model with USB 2 interface), for which I'm currently using a demo version of Maxim DL to take images, and which runs out soon.

To buy the full version of Maxim which will control this ancient cam will cost around £300. Astro Art will also control it, but at around £110. Hardly worth it for an ancient and cheap cam.

All I want is a basic bit of software to simply take images with it. It's so old that there doesn't seem to be any software to run it properly (it's also not compatible with either PHD or Nebulosity). The Starlight Xpress own STAR software, which I have and which is free, works but for some reason results in double images. At first I though there was a fault with the cam, but when I tried it with Maxim as suggested by the guys at Starlight Xpress, the results were fine.

Any ideas?

What do you mean by double images? If it's one copy above the other, is there an interlace setting in the STAR software?

This image shows what I mean. This is a single short exposure. It doesn't do it in Maxim, so why should it do it with the STAR software? Even the guys at starlight Xpress don't seem to know what the problem is.

post-16549-133877597228_thumb.jpg

Archived