EQ5 synscan and PC connections

I've previously had the mount controlled from the PC, I think via the standard 2m cable that comes with the mount. However I've since purchased the long serial skywatcher serial cable and for the life of me can't get the mount to move under PC control.

The PC has just one com port which works fine (tested using the serial shutter release for my camera via APT) - I've tried using both Stellerium and Winstar2, using the ascom drivers, and selecting the V3 synscan options and even (in Winstar) the celestron mount... but nothing.

I have the cable connected to the port on the hand controller, and don't receive any comms errors - I've opened the serial connector and checked that all three wires are there - any suggestions

Hi Nick, no but it looks like the long cable that I was sent don't work. I found the original 2m cable, and that works fine, so it would seem that the long cable I got from RVO is faulty :D

I use a 5 mtr Network cable and a Keyspan serial adaptor between the handcontroller and Carte du Ciel on my Dell laptop. Works everytime.

BTW the PCdirect is only used when connecting via the EQMod cables. The handcontroller automatically picks up on the connection via the serial cable.

looks like they have wired up the cable the wrong way looking at the 4 coloured wires in the RJ11. looking at the diagram in the synscan manual, pin 2 of the RJ11 is RD which should go to pin 2 of the DB9 connector.. it goes to pin 3 of the DB9. Pin 3 of the RJ11 is GND and should go to pin 5 of the DB9, it goes to pin 2, and last pin 5 of the RJ11 TD should go to pin 3, goes to GND (pin 5) of the DB9

Could it be you got sent the Celestron cable by mistake.

Quite possible... it's looks like its just a 4 wire telephone ext cable terminated in a DB9. IF celestron use a different pin out on the hand controller then that would explain it.

Now going to see if it will work with the CP2103 breakout module I've just purchased - saves having to use a cable converter

Thanks for the advice. This is the unit I have Breakout Board for CP2103 USB to Serial w/ GPIOs - SparkFun Electronics

I connected the GND, TX and RX wires from the RJ11 to the pins on the board, changed the port to COM2 as it defaulted to COM18 which wasn't listed in WinStar (must be hard coded) but got a comms error when the program tried to initialise the scope.

Any ideas

Archived