SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pin holes in Badder Solar Film?

My Baader solar film filters are now over five years old (stored in a Tupperware container when they are not on the telescope) and I haven't experienced ANY pin hole defects. In fact the last time I ever saw a pinhole issue was on an ol' Tuthill (remember Roger??) solar screen back in the 70's.

I'm wondering if the "pin hole" problem has become an urban myth....

In all honesty, has anyone actually had pineholes appear in a Baader filter? If so, under what conditions?

has anyone actually had pineholes appear in a Baader filter? If so, under what conditions?

No. Pinholes may exist in the manufactured product, but as there are 2 layers of ND 2.5 the chance of direct light getting through are very remote. Age deterioration is more likely to be splits or tears due to deterioration of the plastic film with continued exposure to UV light (it will eventually go brittle).

Archived