Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Great night last night

Slangers

After a long period of cloud, poor seeing and that dratted moon, I had a great time out there last night (despite the wind). Had a run through the globular clusters, which have to be among my favourite things in the sky. This was my first chance with my new Baader Hyperion EP to take a look at them and when doubled up with a Barlow the view was awesome. I felt like I was seeing in two or three levels- the milky nebulous glow in the background, clouds of stars in the mid range and then individual stars in the foreground. Weird things were happening to my vision as it flicked between these "levels".

I saw five new Messier objects for me last night, including M102, M59, M60. Saturn with 5 moons and my first planetary nebula (Cats Eye). Galaxies galore.

Went to bed a very happy boy. This was the first time ever that I did a whole night of observing without changing EP I think. The 24mm ± Barlow seems to meet all of my needs.

Archived