Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

USB Splitters

alaskacam

Hello. I use a MacBook Pro laptop in my dome. It only has two USB ports. I'm about to add a focuser, leading to at least three needed USB ports. This would be for the CCD control, Mount control, Focuser control, etc. Can I use one of those standard USB splitters in one of the ports or will this cause problem?

Thanks,

Rob

I think I may need to go down this road sooner or later. These are quite cheap so I'd just say go for it. I've used a powered USB 2.0 splitter for some time on my Windows pc without a hitch but not with Eqmod/guider/camera etc. as yet. I wouldn't have thought that USB speed would be compromised at having more than one USB input to the laptop's USB port as these are relatively slow speed merchants.

Go for it, they are cheap enough. It'll be interesting to hear others views on this topic.

yeoldegit

I use one on my lappy which only has three ports. The mount and camera each get their own with the guide camera, gamepad and mouse in the splitter. Works OK. (Why I do need the mouse? I HATE using those silly lappy mouse pads!!!!!!)

Maplin do a 4 port Cable hub and its on offer half price at the moment...

Part number is A15GU have to go an fetch one myself...

USB 2.0 4Port Cable Hub with 120cm cable : USB Hubs : Maplin

These are great for connecting lower power or devices that are powered by seperate power supplies devices but arent any good for connecting devices that are powered over USB since 500mA is all thats available over all 4 ports...

Archived