NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Visually Observing Hyperion?

Midpoint

I'd just like to double check what I saw last night as I've only got a Nexstar 6SE and live in quite a light polluted area. Last night at about 23:30 while viewing Saturn, I sketched the positions of the moons to look up what I saw later. A couple of moons close to the edge of the planet were hard to make out, but the other, further out moons seemed clear enough.

This morning, I've fired up Stellarium, rewound to last night and zoomed into Saturn. It looks like I was able spot Titan, Tethys, Rhea and the star HIP62602, however there was one dot just below and to the left of Titan on my diagram that was unaccounted for. I couldn't see anything at all in Sellarium. I panned around the area a bit, but when I zoomed in, little Hyperion suddenly popped up!

Now, this is where I start to think I was seeing things last night. I was using an 8mm EP so could I have really seen that 14th magnitude moon? It was a much clearer point of light than either Tethys or Rhea which I just can't explain. If it wasn't Hyperion, what could it have been? :)

Hyperion is a real toughie even with 10"+ ... best seen when close to Titan & in elongation, as it was yesterday. But there were also a couple of mag. 12 stars in the area which you would be much more likely to see.

Thanks very much, you're probably correct and I should have double checked another source as I've just noticed another star I expected to see not present in Stellarium (dimmest star in the Stargate asterism).

I'll see what I can find on another star chart.

Archived