Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Sun, red and white - 17th April sketches

Andrew*

A couple of sketches made on 17th April.

The first, a Hydrogen Alpha overview, concentrating on the incredible prominence activity at that time. In the bottom left (SE) is a follow-up three hours later, showing how that prominence had changed slightly, while the SW "wall" of proms had all but disappeared!

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=965&g2_serialNumber=2

The second shows the white light view later in the day, with a nice collection of complex umbral sunspots. Was my first proper attempt at the white light view, with the limb darkening, and faculae regions. I found these incredibly difficult to render. This has been rotated so N is up.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=967&g2_serialNumber=1

Hope you like them

Andrew

Great sketches!

If that is really your first attempt in white light: that's amazing! The darkening towards the edge is pretty good, and the sunspots (especially those on the right) just couldn't be more realistic. Fantastic job!

Hi Roel and Revs, thanks for your comments.

Sorry - unclear wording!!. It should read: "Was my first attempt at the limb darkening in the white light view". I have done some white light sketches before, but I've never tried darkening the limb. On this occasion, it was particularly important, so the limb-hugging faculae could stand out.

Cheers

Andrew

Archived