Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera adapter silly question!

Retrodan16

After having a great session with my new 6" Dob looking at the moon, and taking a couple of pictures with my phone, I'd like to try and get some better images using my camera. I know dobsonians aren't really much good for photography, but I believe you can get some reasonable results of the moon at least, which is what I'm most interested in.

My camera is a Fuji Finepix S6500fd, not a DSLR but similar in size and features. It has a threaded lens, although I'm not sure of the diameter (it's threaded to fit a sunshade fitting to).

Is there an adapter of some sort that would fit this camera with the standard 1'25 eyepieces or is this a silly idea?! The telescope came with a 2.5' adapter which isn't really much use as far as I can see (no pun intended)

Basically, I want to take some afocal shots with my camera up to the eyepiece, but this is pretty much impossible by hand. To snap a shot even with my phone took much moving around and several attempts, although eventually it did work to a certain degree.

I don't want to delve too much into the photography side yet, but I'd be happy to be able to catch snapshots of the moon as the detail was something I wanted to share with others. I'm thinking if I could do it with a simple 2mp phone camera, it should be possible with a 'proper' camera - it films as well which might be useful.

Any advice always appreciated!

I sometimes use my wife's s6500 and it works well. It has a 30 second exposure too which is good news if you ever get an EQ mount!

You need an eyepiece of say 32mm (can be other sizes if you like)

Then an adapter ring like in picture 1

This screws in to the groove where the eye guard was.

Then get a 46 to 58mm step up ring (any camera shop £5)

Bobs your uncle!

P.S the pics show it connected to my s5500 but it's the same principle!

post-14652-133877417565_thumb.jpg

post-14652-133877417572_thumb.jpg

post-14652-133877417581_thumb.jpg

post-14652-133877417588_thumb.jpg

post-14652-133877417594_thumb.jpg

Howdy Retrodan16,

You have the right idea mate, I have used a S6500fd afocal in the past and have the necessary afocal adaptor for it, along with a shutter release cable so that you can fire the shutter without touching the camera thus reducing vibration.

I took this pic with that set up....... scottishastronomers.com - DSO Photos/M42 its not a great pic, it is noisy but with more subs I'm sure it might have been ok, and is very reminisant of the view through the EP.

Anyhoo, I dont use the adaptor and cable anymore so if you are interested in buying these PM me and I'm sure we can come to some arrangement.

Gary

Archived