Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Shape Query

salas

Hi All,

I've only just got out for the second time with my WO GT81 and would like to know if the star shape on brighter stars I am seeing is normal? I've attached a 10 second exposure of Vega, I was using the WO focal reducer flattener with my Canon DSLR, although without the flattener the effect is the same. I could not see any moisture build up on the scope lens.

I've zoomed right in to make it easier to see. Is the effect I am seeing a result of Vega being blown out compared with the surrounding stars?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve 

post-41607-0-29443300-1446497002_thumb.j

What you are seeing is diffraction spikes caused by obstructions in the light path. They are more prominent the brighter the star is.

You may want to take a look at a similar post from a few days ago where someone with the exact same scope as you also has this problem.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/255328-Focus-and-Diffraction-Spikes

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just posted the same question in another thread. I have the same scope and see the very similar shapes (images attached). I wonder if it is a characteristic of this refractor? I also don't know if it is a flaw or not. Please let us know how you get on (fixing or returning it etc) as I am not sure what to do myself.

I don't think it would bother me if the star itself was round and then had diffractions but the spikes seem to cut into the star which is annoying,

post-44896-0-30786400-1446557132.jpg

post-44896-0-13335900-1446557150_thumb.j

Archived