NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Obsy Panoramas

nameunknown

Woke up to a couldy morning so no Venus/Mars/Jupiter today - might as well exercise my arthritic wrist on here (hence sorry about the spelling).

As I don't live in a French field I'm going to eventually get the Telescope Assistant to mod the pano in Stellarium. Here's the 360 view from the obsy - taken on a summer morning with a Fugi HS10 while standing on an old wooden beer crate (a standard bit of obsy kit, like the pipe and tweed jacket). The two chimney pots, behind which a rather nearby star is just about to rise, aren't used (one is the cooling vent for the obsy), and the TV Yagi's were actually quite useful as a target for centering the reticule in the polarscope in daylight rather than fiddling with the grub screws in the dark (its a b###### when they fall inside the polarscope). ROR is just visible on the extreme right. For an urban environment, its quite an open sky and the LP wasn't that bad before a new glass office block went up this year that seems to leave the lights on all night (not visible in this older photo). You can't quite make it out in this low-res image but there is a "view of the Clwydian Range" in the distance (well, an Estate Agent might say that, but actually you can only see the very top of Moel Famau unless you stand on the roof, which is 20+ meters up and not that smart - especially with a walking stick). I have the remains of the Jubilee Tower in my GOTO list for testing out cameras as it is my most distant terrestial object.

Image is posted at the bottom of thiis page on my website: http://chester.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Hoole ( http://chester.shoutwiki.com/wiki/File:2015HooleSky.jpg) as I ran out of "arthritic wrist" time trying to work out how to upload it....

I also noticed the other day that the latest Google Earth images caught my obsy with the roof open (presumably the Telecope Assistant was bird-watching or spying on the neighbours). At the very limit of zoom its just possible (perhaps) to make out my 200P in the park position. Having my scope seen from space is a bit of a reversal of the normal situation! Hopefully I'll be using the obsy again soon (the current scopes are a bit heavy for me at present) as I about to aquire a small MAK and my blurred vision (from the arthritis) is slightly improving.

Anyone else got obsy pano's (and can work out how to post them!)

P

Archived