SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Making the big leap

Hi my friends, Im brand new to the group, so please bare wirth me, lol... I have a meade lx200 gps 8 inch that until today I was using with my nikon d7000. Problem is, I could never capture the stars without pixelation.. Today our foundation was blessed with a QHY8L for half price, we have the famous tucon skies, two questions.. What was I doing wrong with the d7000, and should the qhy8l make a signifigant difference? My family truly loves the sky, the universe is all of ours for exploring.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you..

Hi and welcome to SGL :)

This may not be the only reason for your pixelation - but I'm guessing with your skies there may be a tendency to over magnify the image. Or perhaps you just weren't properly in focus. Without further information it's hard to just stab in the dark.

Using a focus mask is a good idea - google "bhatinov mask" (there are other types as well but this is the most popular). And use a free download like CCDCalc to estimate chip size and image size here:

http://new-astronomy-ccdcalc.software.informer.com/1.5/

This allows you to put in the camera spec and telescope model to see how they work together. Hth :)

Hi my friends, Im brand new to the group, so please bare wirth me, lol... I have a meade lx200 gps 8 inch that until today I was using with my nikon d7000. Problem is, I could never capture the stars without pixelation.. Today our foundation was blessed with a QHY8L for half price, we have the famous tucon skies, two questions.. What was I doing wrong with the d7000, and should the qhy8l make a signifigant difference? My family truly loves the sky, the universe is all of ours for exploring.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you..

I can't see how your problem could be pixelation. You have a long focal length scope and a small pixel camera. Pixelation applies when you have the opposite scenario. (ie you don't have enough pixels to resolve details in the image you are taking, so you see brick-like pixels instead of smooth and continuous transititions.)

Could you post an image?

Olly

Archived