Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan Latitudinal Longitudinal for South Africa

Hi everyone.

I purchased a new telescope for my as a birthday gift. I got the Skywatcher 1301000az goto with synscan remote. So we tried to take it for a test run two nights ago but couldn't get the coordinates part right.

So this is the problem:

My coordinates are 28'##.###'E -25'45.###'S but my synscan remote wants 3 digit longitude example 123 04W 49 09'N.

How do I get the correct coordinates for Pretoria, South Africa that will match my synscan device? I have however tried a 028'##E format but it didn't want to accept my coordinates (didn't want to proceed to the next menu screen).

Please advise as I have tried to read up on the telescope and I can't find any write up on this model anywhere. What is this model also known as?

The star party is in less than two weeks and we still don't know how to operate this device.

Thanks in advance

I would have expected:

Long = 028o 10 E

Lat =    25o  45 S

Or at least values to within 1 or 2 minutes which should not worry the software.

The Synscan manual I have does not give the world map to select the Time Zone from, checking others it should be UTC +2

Just noticed that above you have written/given a Lat of  -25 45 S, the "-" should not be there, just the "S".

I wonder if the handset takes the data and when complete checks it all, and if you have "-" and "S" then it could error and just sit there.

The Synscan remote does not have room to enter a "-" character. Was for illustration purposes only.

However my Latitudinal coordinates were 25'71S and when entered, the edit box on the display would jump back to the "7" as though the remote was telling me that the information entered was incorrect. (More specifically the "7")

I have decided to stand somewhere else and entered my new coordinates and the synscan device now seems to accept the new coordinates. Sadly this is in stand alone mode and I will need to cart my wife's telescope with next time to put it to the test.

The next part of my concern was the model code. I have viewed several posts that talk about a skywatcher 130 with mention of 1000mm. I believe that this is the same telescope but other forum topics include a "P" or other character to there code. Does anyone know what is the most similar telescope to is mine or what other name code mine goes by as it makes it easier to read up on.

Thanks for the speedy replies

The values the scope wants are degrees and minutes.

There are 60 minutes in a degree, you cannot have  a value in there over 59, which is why it is going to the "7" and indicating an error.

You (head/brain) are working in degrees and a decimal points in your head, the scope works in degrees and minutes.

So 0.71 becomes 0.71x60 = 42 minutes.

What focal length has your scope?

And then how long is the is the actual tube ?

If a 130 then it is likely to be about 1000mm focal length and a tube of about 850-900mm.

If it is a 130P then it is f/5 so a focal length of 650mm and the tube is about 580mm

P means a parabolic mirror, no P will likely mean a spherical mirror.

Thank you for the correction on degrees and minutes (NOTED).

Im sure this is something I will not forget in the future.

Unfortunatly the only product code I found was Skywatcher 1301000az goto.

Do you know of anywhere else that I can look for a more accurate product code as the manual is generic for most products in the same line?

Also the packaging does read any more than the above mentioned code.

The former description of the product seems to be correct (you obviously know your telescopes) and thus the next question follows, where can I find a realistic review of this telescope and are the any Forums with this specific telescope as topic (I would love to read up on what others have done and seen with there telescope that is equal to mine)

Ronin, you have been a great help thus far!

Archived