Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Cat's Eye Nebula with Dob

Scooot

I took this single shot of NGC 6543 with my Canon attached to my 16" on the EQ Platform. 2 seconds on ISO 1600. First focussed on Vega then pushed it to the target using my nexus push to system. It's not so accurate using it when standing it on the platform so I was pleased to find it as I couldn't see it at all through the camera or finder.

post-20507-0-11444600-1433854772.jpg

This is cropped and I've increased the brightness and contrast a touch.

post-20507-0-90603700-1433854837.jpg

This is the un-cropped version as it came out of the camera.

The tracking seemed a lot better than my recent M57, I'd spent a bit more time aligning the platform north but I wonder whether it was more to do with NGC 6543 being nearer Polaris and therefore appearing to move more slowly. Also the dob was more vertical which probably helped reduce the vibration. I'm quite chuffed with it. :)

Impressive (and colourful) for a 2s shot. I think you're on to something. Tracking improvements might be due to the shorter exposure?

I've a large dob too (but no EQ platform) and so am taking a keen interest in what kind of results you can produce. As you've identified, the issues are getting acceptable tracking and finding objects. Have you considered using an 'e-finder' e.g., connecting a sensitive guide camera to a short focal length scope (maybe even a finder scope), although it would have to be used in conjunction with a laptop. There are some threads here and on cloudy nights about the concept.

Martin

Impressive (and colourful) for a 2s shot. I think you're on to something. Tracking improvements might be due to the shorter exposure?

I've a large dob too (but no EQ platform) and so am taking a keen interest in what kind of results you can produce. As you've identified, the issues are getting acceptable tracking and finding objects. Have you considered using an 'e-finder' e.g., connecting a sensitive guide camera to a short focal length scope (maybe even a finder scope), although it would have to be used in conjunction with a laptop. There are some threads here and on cloudy nights about the concept.

Martin

Thanks Martin, just been experimenting at the moment, usually more interested in visual. Wish it looked like that through an eyepiece

Archived