Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark Sky Site - Dunstable Downs?

Hi all,

Since Christmas I've been getting into observing visually, and am loving it. I have a Skywatcher 250px and have just picked up a fantastic second hand Meade 8 inch LX90. Sadly however, I live in Luton. For many reasons this isn't great, but in this particular context the problem is light pollution. Even on a fantastic night I can really only see the brightest DSOs from my garden.

I have therefore been wondering about dark sky locations, and my boss at work mentioned to me the Dunstable Downs - for example http://bit.ly/1E4apw4

So... has anyone from the area observed from here before? Does anyone have any comments as to the suitability of the site? And would it be sensible to assume I'd get better views up there than I would from my garden (from which one can see a lovely orange hue all around...)?

Or, alternatively, does anyone have any other suggestions for a site that is within half an hour or so's drive from Luton centre?

Thanks in advance for any advice, as always it will be much appreciated!

Joe

There is (was) a club on the A505 heading towards Hitchin, will look it up, began with a "P" I think. Think they had an observatory there.

Ivan Hoe Beacon should be dark, think there is a road up to a car park - find out during daylight.

Letchworth, more then half an hour, have observing monthly and sensibly they arrange it for a Friday night, and if it is wet/cloudy etc they swap it to the Saturday.

You could join the club, ignore the monthly meetings that are on a Wedsnesday and go to the observing only I suppose. The site they have is reasonable for dark. Slight "oddity" is that for safety they have to have the car park floodlight on, which since that is where they observe from (big, flat, tarmac surface) kind of seems stupid.

Luton place is Putteridge Bury, part of the University.

I had Puckeridge down the A10 going through my mind, but they are simialr names.

This is the club: http://www.lutonastrolink.org.uk/

Seem to be active.

The other for Bedfordshire is Bedford, I believe the Cranfield club has ceased, or become part of the OU.

Thank you - great stuff. I certainly will be looking to join a club at  some point, yet at the same time am enjoying the 'solitary time-to-myself' aspect of stargazing. I spend half the day talking to people, and so a few hours with the stars and my own thoughts for company are an attractive prospect!  Certainly from your list, Ivanhoe Beacon looks like an amazing spot, and I will do a recce there in the daytime.

I suppose the question I have is about etiquette - is Ivanhoe Beacon a 'regular' spot for observers? Is there a club who use the site? And if so, would I be 'out of order' by turning up with my scope on any given random night?

Don't think any club uses it. The Luton one has no reason to as they have grounds and an observatory, Bedford are well North, Cranfield has gone and that is it. I would however expect people to be up there at night.

Could check for Herts and Bucks clubs.

If I recall from a map the county boarder is a bit convoluted to your South West, so a club in another county could be actually close. I seem to recall driving South West through the area and went form Herts to Beds to Herts then to Bucks in about 5 miles and it was a straight drive South West.

Where I am I have Cambs, Herts, Beds all within a radius of about 3 miles, and Essex is a bit too close also.

Would expect a location closer then Ivan Hoe, if I recall there is a reservoir near to Tring (East side of Tring?)

Concerning clubs I see you have the option of Luton-Wheathamptsted-Welwyn GC-Hertford.

There is a club at Hertford, drive is not overly easy but equally not too bad, I think that road is reasonable.

Also check the road out that area down the B653 looks like it could be a possibility.

There's a nice place just outside of Aldbury near Tring (between Wendover and Ivinghoe). If you drive north out of Aldbury, past the Stocks golf course you'll find a car park about half a mile on the left. There is a small but steep little hill with a nice flat top and 360 degree view that goes on for miles. I used to do visual from here a few years ago 'till I couldn't be bothered with cars anymore. It's no good for imaging as it's under the Luton Airport flight path, but this is where I learnt the sky with my Meade etx. No-one ever bothered me there either. Dunstable Downs is a good place, but it can get very windy there.

Archived