Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question choosing new scope

Hi all,

After some thinking time I have decided the time is right for me to get a new scope. I am currently looking at spending around £300 (mainly because I am too impatient to wait the extra time to save more money) and have found three scopes on FLO that look good. Each of these I am looking at for the ease of getting it straight out when the sky is clear in Manchester.

1st - Skywatcher Explorer 130P at £285

2nd - Skywatcher Startravel 102 at £285

3rd - Skywatcher Skymax 102 at £297

As I mentioned I am looking at these because they look lightweight enough to just "grab and go" but also cheap enough for me to get within a couple of months.

I would like to know which of these would be better (baring in mind I realistically plan to do planetary observing until I am used to the scopes then move deeper space).

I am open to suggestions though and could be persuaded to hang on to save a bit longer for the right scope, so feel free to recommend away.

Many thanks all.

I'm guessing a bit as to what each scope is, however, some comments -

Explorer 130p ( Newtonian ) maybe best alrounder of the 3 scopes.

Startravel 102 ( short focus achromat refractor ? ) best for low to medium power views, less good for planets.

Skymax 102 ( Maksutov ? ) better for planets, no really low power wide field with this one.

Best to see what others say, may have guessed wrongly what type each scope actually is.............

Maybe the deservedly popular 200p Dob would be good ?

All the best with your choice, Ed.

Well actually the 200p is within your budget, but many will want to upgrade the supplied eyepieces, maybe add a Telrad, so that does push the outlay higher, of course the upgrades could come later.

And re-reading your original post, not as grab & go as you would like ?

Regards, Ed.

It may not be as grab and go but I'm a big lad so maybe not so bad.  :grin:

I've never had a scope with GOTO before so I'm thinking that my next scope should have this, which I believe will help with imaging when I get to that stage.

Archived