Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky Safari, SkyQ link and Android tablet

GrampyG

I've been using SkyPortal in an Android table with the SkyQ link 2 and it works fine (sort of). However trying to get the system to work with Sky SAfari 4 pro doesn't.

The Wifi connects but nothing happens on the scope. Having looked around it seems that Sky Safari is not fully compatible with a lot of Android devices - but I am somewhat naive about these things.

Any help would be appriciated

Have a look at Sky Safari settings/ telescope./setup and I think in there you need to put in your type of scope. Mine for example is Celestron Wi-Fi , cant see Sky2qlink listed but it might work if you set Celestron WiFi

Hi John.

Having spent some time looking online I noticed in one piece of correspondence that the telescope should be listed as 'Celestron Wi-Fi' and not CPC 800. Last night I tried this plus disengaging my router and, hey presto, it worked-well sort of. Whilst things went right for times the Wi-Fi signal was lost which meant one had to start again with alignment. I'll give it another try because when it did work it seemed good.

The telescope is quite close to my router and I understand that there is an 'access point mode' which I believe runs through the router rather than directly from the tablet. I'm not sure how to set this up so if there is any information on this it would be much appreciated, and it may prove to be more stable.

Just in passing, I believe other people have had problems with maintaining Wi-Fi connection with both's SkyPortal and Sky Safari.

Many thanks

One thing in my documentation is that the wi-fi side of things can get affected by other nearby routers so you need to tell the tablet or device to "forget" your home router if within distance of it. When you need to reconnect the home router is still listed but needs a manual tap on the connect button. Not sure how the access point mode works as I have not needed this but when I get a moment I will read through the documentation and have a look and see if anything there might help you.

Essentially though, your home router and indeed other nearby routers could be affecting your link. Might be worth taking the scope out to a dark site and testing the functionality of it away from any interference.

Archived