Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maxim DL Guiding

I have a Paramount MX+. I have successfully used PHD for guiding and the corrections using a lodestar X2 are in the order of fractions of a pixel per guide exposure. This is expected.

When I try & use Maxim DL 6 to guide the corrections being seen are in the order of 30-50 pixels per correction. This is obviously wrong & leads to  misguided stars. I'm using the Ascom driver for the Paramount & have set the guider settings in Maxim to telescope. On some objects I get an X axis correction of under 1 pixel but the Y axis is 35-54 pixels.

I don't get any of these problems with PHD but PHD won't work as my choice of  guiding software as it won't integrate with a package I plan to use.

I wonder if this error is a calibration issue. 

Does anybody have any thoughts. My next test is to try with GPSUB as I have the interface available to try but If I've missed anything obvious let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

I found the solution. An updated camera driver was required, Guiding is now as expected. I just need to experiment with optimum settings.

Hi

I take it that was an update to the Lodestar X2 driver. Did that come from Starlight Xpress or from Maxim?

Could I ask what version you are on? The latest is 6.08. I have 6.06 - but it is not 100% stable.

Cheers

Ian

I used the Starlight express CCD driver pack version 1.2.0.1 direct from the web site. This appeared to fix my issue & it seems stable enough as I have not had any crashes or disconnects. As for the exact driver version included with this pack I'm not sure.

Archived