Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

December 19, 2014: VERY short session; galaxy count reaches 495

On December 19 I suddenly spotted the sky was crystal clear, despite near gale-force winds, so I set up the scope in record time in a sheltered corner of the garden to get the remaining 7 galaxies to hit 500. I first aligned the finder on Messartim, and star hopped to M74. Tricky object as ever, but definitely there. Clouds were racing in so I quickly swung to NGC 514. Quite tricky, but a fairly compact fuzzy blotch fairly close to a foreground star could be spotted in averted vision. It seemed to have some degree of central condensation. I had to wait briefly as a cloud swept by, but could then move south to NGC 524 (Herschel 400 object). This was much easier, and a very nice round fuzzy patch.

At this point a large bank of cloud rushed in, and I beat a hasty retreat, as rain threatened. Whisked the scope inside, and had to settle for a galaxy count of 495. Must hope for a single decent session (or two or three lightning sessions) to hit that 500. Still, two new objects in about 10 minutes is not bad

good luck on reaching your 500th observation this year.

I'm beginning the Herschel 400 on the next cloudless evening. I notice that with M82 the list, that's one down already :)

Thanks. Not 500 in one year, 500 galaxies total. Given I had reached 475 last summer I had hoped to reach 500 this year (easily). The weather had other ideas, but I might yet reach it.

The Herschel 400 list is a very nice one. Have you tried the Caldwell list already?

Archived