NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron PC to AUX port

Mav359

Hi guys

is there a method of connecting the PC to the AUX port on my CGEM mount? Currently i connect using the serial connector on the bottom of the hand controller, it works well but the problem is i can only use one piece of software at a time. If i have stellarium connected then i can't connect astortortilla or example. I know why it happens its because I'm connecting to the scope via serial and over a single COM port.

It would be nice to use the AUX port because that would allow me to keep a second piece of software connected. 

I presume you are using NexRemote to connect your PC to your mount? If so, after you start NexRemote, right-click on the PC handset and select "Settings".This will display the handset settings (see attached image). In the top COM port box, select a vacant COM port - you have probably already done tis if you have managed to get the mount to respond. The settings also allow the PC handset to create another virtual COM port. So, in the lower COM port box, choose an available vacant COM port, then click "OK" In Stellarium, set up your scope as normal but choose this virtual port as your COM port. Now you can control your mount either by the PC handset or from Stellarium. The only caveat is that the handset on the mount is effectively disabled, all except for slewing and slew rate control.

Cheers

Bill

Cheers Bill

I have tried that serveral times however it complains constantly that it cant create the virtual port, i'm wondering if its something to do with the fact i'm using a Serial to USB connection. I never bothered much with the virtual handset for my obs its only now i have the motorhome and work from the inside the van that i started to look at working away from the scope. I never looked to hard at POTH because all i saw was 'DOME' & again i never really needed it anyway.

POTH has been explained to me now and i tested that this morning and all is working & its saved me spending £80

Cheers for the reply

Archived