SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Power Tank for Celestron Nexstar 6SE

Having purchased this scope I decided to research on how best to power it. Batteries are a waste of time and money according to many and mains power adapters can be dodgy to say the least. It all came down to using a power tank of sorts. Now both Celestron and Sky Watcher make these items but at a cost, surely there is another way, after all they are just big re-chargable batteries.

I popped down to my local halfords and investigated the Power Packs made to jump start cars, and bingo they are just big re-chargeable batteries. So for a cost of £49.99 I now have a Halfords Powerpack 100 which is a 12v and 17ah power source. It includes two cigar lighter power outs, a USB power point, LED light and a compressor to blow up my air bed when star parties get just too much.

I think these are worth every penny and I have saved around £40, so before you buy the labelled gadgets, come on this web site and read what other fellow astronomers have to say, its what I did and I am very happy that I took the time to do so.

• 3 months later...

Having purchased this scope I decided to research on how best to power it. Batteries are a waste of time and money according to many and mains power adapters can be dodgy to say the least. It all came down to using a power tank of sorts. Now both Celestron and Sky Watcher make these items but at a cost, surely there is another way, after all they are just big re-chargable batteries.

I popped down to my local halfords and investigated the Power Packs made to jump start cars, and bingo they are just big re-chargeable batteries. So for a cost of £49.99 I now have a Halfords Powerpack 100 which is a 12v and 17ah power source. It includes two cigar lighter power outs, a USB power point, LED light and a compressor to blow up my air bed when star parties get just too much.

I think these are worth every penny and I have saved around £40, so before you buy the labelled gadgets, come on this web site and read what other fellow astronomers have to say, its what I did and I am very happy that I took the time to do so.

I bought a Powerpack 100 for my mount recently. It's an excellent piece of kit and very popular. Unfortunately Halfords have now relaunched it with slightly different styling and doubled that price to £79.99! Still cheaper than the equivalent Celestron or Skywatcher item, but a hefty markup indeed.

Steve

• 3 months later...

Thanks -- appreciate this review as I'm thinking about the NexStar.

Archived