Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stacking different sub lengths for RGB

RikM

I am trying to get a good data set on M106 but have been experimenting along the way. I started out with my normal 5 min subs for each colour, then I spent a night shooting weighted colour subs 300 s for red, 450s for green and 350 for blue. I stacked the lot and the colour balance did come out better with the weights subs. Looking at the fits header for the stacked green, it seems that Maxim averages the exposure time.

What happens to the snr when doing this? Is it better to have all the same sub lengths in the stack? E.g I think I have 6x5min plus 7x7.5min. For green so far. Would I be better off with stacks of a single exposure time, say 11x7.5min or 16x5min instead or does it not make much difference?

BTW I have 8.5hours in total and it still looks noisy as anything :(

I don't know about the different colours but I would of thought more subs better than less.

Think more or longer subs would make a better snr but then I'm only learning.

May be this will provoke a reply from our more learned friends. :grin:

Archived