Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lacerta 1:10 Microfocus

This focuser upgrade comes up now and again, but I couldn't find a review of it in this section, so in case it should come up again, here are some brief thoughts (it will fit other 'scopes, but you'd have to check yourself).

Skywatcher Dobs are incredibly good value for money, but one of the draw backs tends to be that the stock parts can be a bit cheap and cheerful.

One of those is definitely the focuser, wobbly, clunky and inaccurate.

If you'd thought of upgrading the focuser, but don't want to splash out on a moonlite, then the Lacerta may be for you.

Out of the box it immediately feels like a heavier, solider and much more robust piece of kit. It is incredibly easy to fit and you can find detailed instructions here.

It is fully adjustable, allowing you to apply as little or as much resistance to the focuser as you desire.

It has left me with a much smoother gliding focuser, with a degree of stability and accuracy that I hadn't expected to achieve for only £60.

The 1:10 ratio has added the extra precision that I'd been after and a lighter touch that has reduced wobble whilst focusing considerably.

I did consider the Skywatcher upgrade but spend the £40 I saved on a second hand RACI finderscope instead, good choice!  :wink:

I can heartily recommend this microfocuser to any Skywatcher Dob owners in need of a little focuser upgrade.

I hope this was of some help.

Cheers

Archived