Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C11 - Betelgeuse

I put a Celetron 6.3f FR on my C11 spaced at around 103mm this single image taken unguided with canon 1100D, NEQ6 Mount, 60 seconds, 800 ISO, Focal Length 1764mm, so how would i know if its to close or to far, FLO suggested 105mm but would work down to 85mm but would need some testing....

betelgeuse-3.jpg

Hello Tinker1947,

Ran your image through CCD Inspector and have attached the results below, curvature measured at approx. 21% and total tilt measured at approx. 6%.

I had to use Canon 450D as the camera sensor with a 5.2uM pixel size as CCD Inspector hasn't been updated with new chips sizes for quite a while but looking on-line the sensor size on the 1100D is the same.

Probably not bad for a SCT but I can't compare or comment as I have been using a Dall Kirkham and refractors for quite a few years now.

I will leave it up to others with better SCT experience to look at the CCD Inspector results and say if the results are good bad or indifferent.

You could try taking a couple more images at +5mm and -5mm distance and posting the images here, I'm sure a SGL member will pick them up and run a CCD Inspector analysis for you to see if any improvement can be gained, if you want to do that please post TIFF rather than JPEG as the compression artefacts in JPEG can make CCD inspector results less accurate.

(I think you used to be able to download an evaluation copy of CCD inspector that lasted a Month if you wanted to try the analysis yourself)

William.

Results:

Thanks for the time spent with CCD Inspector, its not something i would be looking to spend time with, you think its close that will do for me, the grand plan is a large Dob to work through the NGC and the Messiers  and while i view the SCT will take a image just for a personal collection  and keep me busy for several years...

Ray

Archived