NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greenwich Royal Observatory

ilove1995

Looking to take my 8 year old son up to Greenwich tomorrow to visit the Royal Observatory. Never been before so would be interested to hear from fellow SGL members who have. Has anyone been to see this years Amateur Astrophotography exhibition? This is the main reason I'm going tomorrow as the exhibition finishes next weekend and I can't go then.

Will be paying a visit to the Planetarium as well, George will love that I'm sure.

Al

It's a great trip - about a dozen of our local observing group visited the weekend before last. The planetarium show and photo exhibition are smashing but be sure not to miss Harrisons clocks and the 28 inch refractor in the top dome of Flamstead House. The views of The City from there are awesome and there's a pay scope on a plinth in the same courtyard as the 0 degs Latitude line. Look out for the red ball on top of the house dropping on the hour.

If you time it right there's a daft girl comes out in period costume and gives a short "history of time" speech in Olde Englishe. It's a brave attempt to entertain but the info is interesting and it'll amuse your lad. Don't miss the Cutty Sark as well and Greenwich market - full of life, beautiful food cooking smells, people, and a really nice stall doing mulled wine with brandy to keep you warm. We thoroughly enjoyed the day. :)

I went with my kids to see the astrophotograper of the year exhibition & we loved it - there's lots interactive for kids to do in the planetarium section. The planetarium show was great, though we did know quite a lot of it :grin: Because w didn't want to pay to get into the main building, we just went with the free parts and there was lots to do, including the 28 inch refractor which my 8 yr old said was "awesome!".

I went with my kids to see the astrophotograper of the year exhibition & we loved it - there's lots interactive for kids to do in the planetarium section. The planetarium show was great, though we did know quite a lot of it :grin: Because w didn't want to pay to get into the main building, we just went with the free parts and there was lots to do, including the 28 inch refractor which my 8 yr old said was "awesome!".

I'm glad you said that because I've left it too late to book so was wondering what you could do for free. I knew about the exhibition being free entry but thought you had to pay to see the 28 inch refractor so that will be a bonus.

Al

I'm glad you said that because I've left it too late to book so was wondering what you could do for free. I knew about the exhibition being free entry but thought you had to pay to see the 28 inch refractor so that will be a bonus.

Al

We did book the planetarium show so if you haven't done that yet it would be worth trying to book as soon as you get there. We kind of stumbled on the refractor - went round a corner in a shop, saw the stairs & went up :grin: I'm sure I read it was free though.

Well we went, weather was lousy but we made the most of it. Best part was the planetarium, we watched Sky Tonight Live which was excellent. The Astronomy narrative during the show was basic but it was thrilling to see comparisons of how the night sky looks with & without light pollution from the Northern Hemisphere. Everything else we did was free which included seeing the Astrophotography exhibition and the 28inch refractor.

Only downer apart from the weather was the journey home caused by a points failure. Apart from that a very enjoyable day out and would recommend to anyone. Views of London from the top of the hill by the observatory are stunning, I've attached a pic so you can see what I mean.

Al

post-26155-0-73456000-1360520015_thumb.j

Archived