Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New wheelie power distribution (replaced EQ6 connector etc)

NickK

I spent today resolving the PIA power issues I've been plagued with - removing the cigar lighter connectors and adding a second EQ6 power connector. I have some inline fuses I'll add to the power cables too before I start using it properly. The box has enough space to store the cables and the car charger for the battery too - it's also built to be strong enough to be stood on so it'll act as a seat/laptop stand.

The wheelie 'bin' is a stanley tool box - I've added two twist lock connectors and the connector on the cable is the EQ6 screw locking power connector:

post-9952-0-82303100-1350241629_thumb.jp

Not particularly beautiful but one connector for the EQ6 & Dew heater, the other cameras. I'll add another I think for the flat panel too.

The EQ6 now looks like this - I can still use the old connector but the new one isn't going to have any issues..

post-9952-0-81386300-1350241795_thumb.jp

Deployment is now - roll out, plug in two cables .. then rollout the USB cable and plugin...

• 3 weeks later...

The mount still works with the 12V port and the guider port, what I've done is used a screw closable connector that doesn't sit too deep. The wire and soldering of the new connection has heat-shrink tubing to protect the everything and then the wires simply solder onto the existing locations for the 12V power.

I did think about running the serial connection through it using the other two poles to make everything in a single connector. There's a nook in the connector so you can't miss connect anyway.

The power connections are literally - push-turn into the box, then screw into the EQ6.. the slowest part of it now is letting the scopes cool.

The outter set of screws at the corners undoes the plate (and electronics board) from the mount itself, the inner is the electronics boards to the plate.. after which you are left with just a basic plate with a switch and connectors. It's then easy enough to just mark out and drill a hole. You do need to make sure that there's clearance between the board and the back of the connector - there is more clearance towards the switch hence most of the mods will be near the switch.

Archived