NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1396 Hubble palette - help processing

Can anyone give me help processing "hubble palette" images? Mine always turn out a yellow mess, even when I follow the instructions given online at various sites, like this one:

http://bf-astro.com/hubbleP.htm

Theirs look great in golden and blue hues, but mine are all washed out. Here's my attempt at IC1396 with 10 minute subs (6:3:3 - not enough, but should be good enough to get some kind of image).

IC1396%20hubble.jpg

I've uploaded my individual stacked images below (click the mildly processed jpeg images to get the completely unprocessed 8MB tif files) in case anyone would like a go at showing me how it should be done.

Ha

IC1396 H p.jpg

OIII

IC1396 O p.jpg

SII

IC1396 S p.jpg

Ive had a play with the colour image you posted, using the same method that you quoted. Just play with the settings and dont be afraid to repeat some of the steps 2 or 3 times to get the required results..

IC139620hubble_filtered.jpg

Ok, I had a go with your seperate files and came up with this version.

I increased the contrast using curves on all 3 of the files then combined them, then used levels to get the histogram roughly the same on all 3 channels, then ran the routine to change the colours - I had to run the cyan part 3 times to get the blue effect to stand out a bit better, and upped the saturation a touch for all channels. Finaly, a shed load of noise reduction because I was pushing the jpegs to their limit.

trunk.jpg

Archived