SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ3-2 as a SLR mount?

Surfr

I am planning my first scope and mount purchase and was wondering if the EQ3-2 mount would be sturdy enough for me to mount my SLR directly onto the mount for some basic wide field stuff. Say 28-300mm focal length work.

Combining this mount with an Explorer 150p sounds like a good entry point for visual observation and a bit of webcam imaging of planets as well as wide field on the mount. Am I completely wrong? Budget is probably 300 tops

I can't imagine that it wouldn't be ok for a camera. I'm unconvinced that it would be suitable for imaging with a 150P though. 5kg+ seems like a lot of weight to be putting on that mount, especially when you'd probably need additional counterweights as well.

James

The EQ-3 sized mount is plenty big enough for a DSLR.. you will need at least the RA axis to be "driven" and would need to take care of the Polar alignment...

I use the EQ3-Pro with DSLR's PA'd just using a polarscope and have no problems with 4 min exposures at 50mm FL and 2 min exposurs at 200mm unguided... remember this is the Pro version with Full goto and Stepper motor drives on both axis and can be "guided"...

I use lenghts of dovetail with Manfrotto B&S heads fitted to them this allows me to point the camera at any point inthe sky without slewing the mount to point at it...this is very handy if you want to image objects around the meridian whilst avoidign a meridian flip...

Here's a coupel of images from the setup...

SGL_WF_1%20Cygnus%20Nebs.jpg

SGL_WF_2%20Milky%20Way%20Sag-Oph.jpg

Peter...

Archived