NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher dob Auto to Goto conversion

Back in 2009 it seems there was a lot of buzz regarding the possibility of SW releasing an official upgrade kit to convert their Auto dob mounts into Goto mounts. However, reading a few old threads it looks like SW abandoned this because drive mechanism fitted to the Auto mounts at the time wasn't up to the precision required for accurate Goto operations.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/85173-goto-skywatcher-flextube-auto-dobs-reality-2.html#post1360399

Does anyone familiar with the current SW dob range know if the Auto mounts being shipped today are now up to the job. Given that SW market official SynScan Goto versions of their dobs they have obviously cracked this technological nut. I wonder whether:

(a) the drive mechanism on their Auto mounts is exactly the same as on their Goto mounts and it's just the handset that differs

or

(:) they fit cheaper and less precise motors/encoders/etc to their Auto mounts which make them still unsuitable for upgrade to Goto mounts?

Does anyone with access to both the different mounts know if the part numbers of the drive components differ?

All the best

Stu

I just saw on the dutch website robtics.nl that a dob goto upgrade kit will be available soon - apparently suitable for all SW dobs of 8 to 12 inch aperture. The kit consists of a goto base and attachments.

I just saw on the dutch website robtics.nl that a dob goto upgrade kit will be available soon - apparently suitable for all SW dobs of 8 to 12 inch aperture. The kit consists of a goto base and attachments.

Really? That's interesting.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the drive components on any of the Auto mounts that have been manufactured recently will be exactly the same as the Goto mounts. It's just the handset that differs. I just can't see why, now that SW are manufacturing a Goto dob mount, they would have two different specs for the components. Economies of scale and all that...

The only reason they won't release just a handset upgrade is because some of the older Auto mounts have dodgy components that fall outside the tolerances for accurate Goto navigation. Rather than risk people with those mounts complaining they've decided to release the full kit (new mount and handset) to ensure they are using decent components (encoders, motors etc).

Archived