NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

May 10: latest run down-under

With the moonlight encroaching on DSO fun, this may be the last DSO report from down-under from me, but the sky was so clear, with earthshine showing clearly on half a moon, with no glare around it, I gave it another go.

I first briefly watched M42 and M41. It is still odd to see Orion upside down (from our perspective). I Then moved to NGC 2360 (Caldwell 58), a mag 7.2 open cluster (also known as Caroline's Cluster, after Caroline Herschel), which only showed up as a little fuzzy ball some way to the west of gamma CMa. I should watch this object with the C8 from back home to get a good view.

Curiously, NGC 2362 (Caldwell 64), which is a much brighter member of the Caldwell list, was invisible, lost in the glare of tau CMa, which sits right in its middle. These 15x70 bins produce too much glare. I had similar problems with other clusters with a bright foreground star in the middle. Should be able to pick this up from home though (next winter).

Moving south, NGC 2451 is a striking open cluster containing a very distinctly red star. Really nice object in Puppis (close to d1, d2, d3 Pup)

NGC 2477 (Caldwell 71) could be seen as a circular glow to the south west of NGC 2451. In averted vision there was the "diamond dust" hint of faint stars, but too faint to be sure.

NGC 5286 (Caldwell 84), was the last new object this run. I tried this a number of times before, but it is difficult (despite being quite bright at magnitude 7.6) because of the proximity of M Cen. This time I got it after focussing very carefully, and taking my time. A small circular glow showed up persistently northwards of M Cen.

I had one more go at NGC 6193 (Caldwell 82), a magnitude 5.2, but with a bright star in the middle the cluster was overwhelmed with glare in the bins (must get better ones some day:rolleyes:).

As I seem to have all but exhausted the Caldwells and Messiers I could spot with 15x70s from here given the conditions, I just had a final look at Omega Cen, awesome as ever, and trawled through the Milky Way, picking up the Jewel box, eta Car Nebula, Wishing Well cluster, and many more.

Beautiful stuff down here, but at least our Pleiades are better than the Southern Pleiades :D.

Great stuff Michael - really jealous!

Mouth-watering! I want a plane ticket and a pair of big bins now...

...Ags, and I want a chartered flight and some crazy, sick, massive DOB with me ;) That would be so cool!

Thanks for the comments.

Great stuff Michael - really jealous!

...Ags, and I want a chartered flight and some crazy, sick, massive DOB with me :o That would be so cool!

Next time I will bring a travel scope. My 80 mm is OK, but I am thinking along the lines of a little Mak or SCT (C6 OTA weighs in at 3.5 kg, should fit in hand luggage ;)). Either that or see if I can get into contact with someone with a massive dob.

Having said that, I would not have been able to pick out things so quickly, especially through gaps in the clouds on mediocre nights, without the bins. The bins (or a better pair) are also coming.

...or see if I can get into contact with someone with a massive dob.

Michael, that sounds like a good idea actually. I've no doubt if you went online and checked up their local astro clubs, them guys would be really happy to accommodate you whenever you there ;)

Just came across this link, maybe useful (I think it's mostly NSW area - is this where you are at the moment?)...:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/clublistings.html#NSW

Archived