NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

guiding a nexstar se mount

I have been out of work for 8-months due to cancer, recently I started back part time and hope to be back full time in a few weeks as I have now had the all clear. I've noticed that the nexstar se mount has a guide port and was wondering has anybody guided one. I know I need an eq mount but I was thinking of modifying my present wedge tripod to accept the new mount and was wondering if anybody had tried guiding an se mount and if it worked I was thinking of putting my c5 and a finder guider on for some basic lx pics. I appreciate I will never make potw But I just wondered if I could get some product out of it. Astrotrac is outside my price range and if this works I will have a portable imaging and viewing system. Not great but at least something I can afford and carry. so is it possible to guide? (sorry about mentioning the C word It was just to highlight that money has been tight and things are about to get a little better) still tight but light at the end of the tunnel.

Heavens Rowan, don't apologise for your troubles! Nice to hear that you are doing better.

Yes, you can use an autoguider on the NexStar. I have also used a radial guider and an illuminated eyepiece to do it manually. This is a device that attaches immediately behind your OTA and before your camera mount (at prime focus). The RG has a very small prism that picks off a bit of the light cone and allows you to use an illuminated reticle eyepiece and the camera at the same time - it is designed so both are at the same focal plane. Keep your eye on the eyepiece and guide manually!

Yeah, it isn't as neat as computerized guiding, but almost everyone did it this way until relatively recently. With the popularity of computerized guiding, I bet you could even pick that kit up used at a fairly good price.

Cheers to you -- and congratuations on beating the C-monster. :) Compared to a simple astrophoto - that is a real accomplishment to be proud of.

Dan

Archived