NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW 200P mod

namreg

Hi guys

Has anyone raised the primary on a SW 200p - the old blue one with the R&P focuser? I'm considering this because I've bought the Baader coma corrector and I won't be able to achieve focus with my DSLR at prime focus. Raising the primary is a cheap fix (money wise), but I don't know how problematic it will be.

Any experiences shared would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

To raise the primary surely you will need to shorten the tube. You may move the focal plane to suit our DLSR, but this will result in vignetting of the light cone as it it closer to the secondary. Replacing the secondary with a larger one ought to correct this. Alternatively, replacing the focuser with a lower profile crayford ought to achieve the same result and is easier to restore if you where to sell the scope.

Hi John

You got here before me - having looked at this I was just about to post saying it wasn't possible, unless someone knew different. You're right in what you say it appears - take a saw to the tube, and I ain't about to do that!

Archived