NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C8 counterweight

i am considering a crayford for my sct. problem is the extra weight will require a counterbalance at the top end of the tube. i was wondering why not use the scopes dovetail as a rail to carry a weight. could the very top of an eq5/heq5/eq6 type mount which has the dovetail cutout and lock knob be used as the counterweight?

can that bit be separated from the dec shaft?

something like this could be slid along the scope dovetail to adjust balance.

any comments folks!!

Hi Mike

You can buy a dovetail saddle from baader that will attach to a normal dovetail as a movable counterweight, but I dont see why you need a counterweight in the first place. When you attach the crayford focuser can you not simply move the OTA forward in the HEQ5 dovetail saddle?

Hi Mike

You can buy a dovetail saddle from baader that will attach to a normal dovetail as a movable counterweight, but I dont see why you need a counterweight in the first place. When you attach the crayford focuser can you not simply move the OTA forward in the HEQ5 dovetail saddle?

or if it's anyway right at the end, buy a longer one! Surely you don't want to make your set-up even heavier?

Anj

Archived