Registar, templates and large mosaics.

That talented chap Karel Teuwen called round a while back and we discussed making mosaics. He actually uses an technique I had thought about but not tried and I think it is a good idea, viz:

Use a widefield image as a template. The widefield has to cover all your intended final mosaic. You can take one with a camera lens or borrow one from the net.

When you start building your mosaic, instead of Registar-ing each panel to one of your own central panels, Register all your panels to the template. The way Registar works, this means they will all fit to each other at the end anyway.

I have found with very big 9 panel mosaics that field distortions accumulate and vary depending on which panel you choose as the definitive starting point. A template will stop this from happening: you will get the same field as that of the template.

Olly

• 4 weeks later...

I have just had a bash at this method...ok I have only got 1 panel at the moment but I can see how its going to work, made a start on the whole of IC1396 last night with the ED80 - only 5 panels to go!

Archived