Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

This is a fine setup to start off with but the main problem you will encounter will be the flimsy mounts which are so 'twitchy'. When you find an object say like Saturn, the next thing you are likely to want to do is to fine tune the focussing to eek out that last bit of detail but because of the magnification used, Saturn will be moving quickly across your field of view. The flimsy mount means that every time you touch the scope, it will shake about and will take time to settle down but now the objects is now moving out of your field of view and will require you to touch the scope again to move the object sufficiently to provide you with the necessary time to make the adjustments but of course you will need to wait for the scope to settle down....you can see that you end up chasing your tail. All the scopes at this price bracket suffer the same problem so either you look at the dobsonian set up (will give best value for money regarding aperture) or for the same money you could consider a similar set up by Skywatcher (130M) which includes a motor (..the 'M' bit) that will track your chosen object and keep it in the field of view to allow you to fine focus. It will also allow you to show others what you're looking at without handing over the responsibility of them keeping the object centred.

Hope that helps a bit.

James

Not a problem! I would certainly recommend First Light Optics as the guys there are very helpful, knowledgeable and are pretty good on price. I don't want to appear biased because they support this forum, but Martin, James and Steve are astronomers themselves and they are generous with their advice and experience which, given that you will always be asking questions (..I certainly still do) is something that money or price can't always buy. Telescope House, Greenwitch and Rother Valley Optics are also very good shops too, who also offer good customer service in my experience. Please tread carefully with regard to the internet as there are some good traders there but there is also a lot of rubbish on there too. To be honest, I would only stick to well known manufacturers which for you will be names like Meade, Celestron and Skywatcher. Most kit today comes with reasonable eyepieces to start you off so don't feel the need to rush out and replace what's in the box, wait a while andd see what you use the most and what objects you are most drawn to observing andcome back to us for more wisdom!:):D

The best value scope you can buy will be a dobsonian. This is because all the money goes into the mirror with the rest going on the tube focuser and a simple alt/az mount which the scope sits in on the ground. When looking through a scope, larger the aperture means more light which when collected and focussed, can help you resolve more detail. If you have to include an equatorial mount in the price such as the one you were first looking at, clearly that has to come out of the budget so the aperture is reduced accordingly. However, this type of mount as described in my last post can support a tracking motor (which will need a power supply!) which might be something that you want as the dobsonian will require you to nudge it along to maintain contact with your found object. At lower magnifications this is not an issue, with a wide angles eyepiece likewise, but at greater magnifications objects start to move a little quicker. Is that a problem for you , only you can answer.

One last comment and that is before you buy why not try. There are many clubs and observing groups who do public observation evenings, why not go along at least once to take a look through some of their kit to help you formulate your own benchmark regarding your own expectations. Its good to get up close to some of this kit too as you might need to transport it to a dark site and there is the set up and cooling times that all make a difference to your viewing experience. If you can go along, do make a note of the eyepiece your looking through as this can make a difference to what and you view an object and will be helpful to you later on when you might want to up date the original eyepieces. The key thing is don't rush and take your time as the stars aren't going anywhere!

James

I can echo most everything James has said. Your local dealer and club are your very best resource - and a good dealer doesn't mind questions, they mean a customer is less likely to be dissatisfied after purchase. :)

I teach astronomy to hundreds every year, and every one of them begins with a 150mm dobsonian - and I have an even dozen of these in service, some for over a decade. All are rugged, light, easy to use and set up in minutes. The views are fabulous, and you won't have any issues with 'twitchy mounts'. The mount is more than half the battle - and a dob mount is far superior in terms of simplicity and stability to a wobbly tripod.

Go for the dob - you won't be sorry!

Dan

Archived