Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark Sited Around Aberdeen & (Aberdeenshire)

orionswallet

Hi All,

I've acquired a telescope (Celestron Astromaster 130EQ) on a short-term basis (3 or 4 weeks) until I buy my own. Going for a Skywatcher Skyliner 8" DOB, cannot wait.......!!!

Anyway, back to the point of the thread - I was wondering if any of you live in or around Aberdeen in Scotland, and could advise / recommend any great places / dark sites to stargaze? I have a car, and the CA 130EQ is easily transported, so I'm happy to travel anwhere up to 20 or 30 miles around Aberdeen, but am struggling to think of anywhere which "sticks out" as a great place to point the scope skywards?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

John.

Hello John....I used to live just South of Aberdeen, in a place called Muchalls. If you drive your car down through the village, you'll come to a dead end, just follow the footpath round to the cliffs and you have plenty of space there to view the night skies with no light pollution whatsoever......or, you could turn left as you enter the village, park your car at the large gate, and walk into the field, the views of the night sky are breath taking, so clear, and again no light pollution........or very very minimum light pollution I should say. I've never been anywhere where the skies where so black anyway, and so many stars visible with the naked eye....

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I never thought to use Google Maps as a "guide" to finding the best spots, good shout.....

I think I'm going to plan a trip down to Muchalls one night soon (keeping a close eye on the weather forecast) - the site you've described sounds brilliant!

Cheers

John.

would love to live near a area described above! one lucky fellow, i go one way theres skyglow of rugby, go the other and theres birmingham, no getting away from it, can only dream of seeing the milky way!

Clear Skies

Archived