NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light and new eyepiece

Hi all after my first viewing with my first telescope, skywatcher 250px, last night i decided a few things.

1. I really need to learn more about the night sky! I had fun looking at the stars but I didnt have a clue when I was or where anything was really. Also didnt help that my finderscope hadnt be set up.

2. the main thing really was I like the view through the supplied 25mm eyepiece and thought the 10mm was ok, but really wanted a better eyepiece and more zoom. So today after a 90 mile round trip I have a new eyepiece and barlow.

The nice guys at astronomia gave me so useful tips and suggested a celestron zoom eyepiece 8mm-24mm and a viexen 2x barlow. so hopefully that will give me a great different range of focal length.

I'll be interested to see how the zoom works for you, I've never used one in a telescope before.

Although it seems counter-intuitive, you might try a Low power, wide angle eyepiece. A 32 or 40mm eyepiece with your big aperture would really help you to grasp nebulae and clusters - especially some of the larger things like Pleiades, Hyades, Orion's Nebula, etc.

Dan

I was thinking about getting a 32mm or 40mm as well and also a laser collimating eyepiece. but buying a sw 250px, cheshire, moon filter for £450 then another 115 on the zoom and barlow i had to stop somewhere :)

just hope the zoom works well, which im sure it will.

Hi Steve,

Glad you managed to get out with your new scope and enjoyed yourself.

To help you on your way I would suggest you align your finder during the day on a distant church spire, electric pylon or similar.

I can recommend Stellarium, a free planatarium program to help you around the night sky. With this you can customise the view to suit your location and set the time/date for your next viewing time.

If you want to know what to observe go to Tonight's Sky for a list of objects.

HTH

Enjoy.

Thought id give my views on the zoom eyepiece for ad astra and others. well i first started with just the eyepiece, which gave a nice very at 24mm and continue to give a nice view all the way to 8mm, was very happy with the view quality.However on annoyance, and maybe not the eyepieces fault, but it was a bit loose in the focuser. This meant that when trying to rotate the zoom the whole eyepiece rotated instead. just worth thinking if you have a skywatcher with the same focus as my 250px. however seated in the barlow all was good. and so were the views. this is how i managed to see saturn clearly with rings. so overall i think a zoom is a good bit of equipment to have.

P.s please dont take it as a review as such, as i am so new my good view might not be to other experienced people.

Edit: Just thought I would add that the field of view isnt that good at 24mm, its down to 40 degrees. at 8mm its at 60 degrees which isnt bad.

Archived