Eyepiece Query

Me again I'm afraid.

When I was using my 200P to view the sun in white light today I had a problem with my eyepieces that I haven't encountered before.

For example I would get the sun in the eyepiece and focus it, then when I went back for another look all I could see was either black or my own pupil, iris etc in the eyepiece. I had to keep coming away and going back to see the sun which was still within view in the eyepiece.

I experimented with different eyepieces and even a 2" 42mm but the same thing kept happening. Any ideas please?

Thanks again

Paul

Hi Paul, assuming you are using the 200P on an EQ mount, then if your polar

alignment is off then after a while, even with the RA drive running, the Sun

will drift out of the field of view.

For visual use, the polar alignment does not have to be spot on, but the closer

you can get, the longer the sun will remain in the field of view. Of course, you

cannot see Polaris during the day to align on, so you need to know which way

is north, and point the polar axis that way. If you polar align at night, you could

put marks on the ground to show where to place the tripod legs.

HTH, Ed.

Edit: rereading your post, maybe I've misunderstood. Perhaps the problem is

finding the exit pupil of the eyepiece ? You need to move your eye around

to centre it on the eyepiece. Sometimes this can be a bit fiddly until you

get used to it. Hope this second try helps !! Ed

Thanks Ed. The scope was aligned North, EQ5 mount ,no motors but the image was still in the eyepiece all the time I was trying to view it, I just had a lot of difficulty. I thought it might be to do with Exit Pupil or some other strange happening.

Paul

Archived