NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

External PSU for EOS

nightvision

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The LM317T is more than capable of doing it I use ally or diecast boxes for the heatsink... just remebr the tab on the 317T is connected to the output pin so make sure you use an insulating kit with it... especially if your using soemthing like a phono socket on the same box for connecting the dummy battery...

Thanks Psychobilly. I did opt for a ready made PSU though. Bit too much of a risk for me. It took me quite a while to convince *her* that I need an EOS. I can't afford to break it now. I was already sweating when testing my EOSbox with the shutter cable and USB. ;-)

Hmmm, LM317 reminds me of last night. I got a massive blister on my finger now. Going from 18V to 5V at 1.5A with only a tiny heat sink doesn't seem to be within specs. The circuit didn't work and I was checking if the LM317 was getting warm... ;-)

(different project though..)

My fav chip use quite a few of them so the odd one goes walkies :icon_eek:

I use external NiMH packs that give me 8-10 hours continous running ... again we buy them by the thousand and the wllwarts and chargers to recharge them so...

External%20PSU.jpg

These use a MIC28102BT which is overkill for the Camera supply but needed for what we use them for... the volatge is adjustable using a multi turn preset for a few volts around the nominal voltage set by a couple of fixed resistors...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived