Laser Collimator is it that easy

I just put the laser collimator in the eye piece holder and turned it on, laser not in the centre so i moved the little mirror knobs (technical term) a bit and it dissapeared into a hole in the centre of the collimator ( a bit like playing lazer golf)....is that it did i do it right :hello2:

Nothing has been that easy so far i guess i have to do this everytime i set it up just to make sure its always on the ball....:hello2:

Well you've done the final stage of collimation so I assume the secondary mirror is set correctly.

The secondary needs to be square on to the focuser tube - when you look through a centered pinhole in the focuser tube everything should appear round and you should see the three clips that hold the primary in place. Adjust the secondary screws till you can see that. The center screw loosens it (not too much) and the three screws round the center one adjust the tilt.

Pop the collimator in, look down the main tube and the beam should be hitting the primary dead center (usually there's a center marker like a small round hole). If it's not centered you need to adjust the secondary screws till it is.

Now you can tilt the primary using the adjusters till the laser disappears down the center of the target and it's collimated. Don't confuse the primary adjusters with the locking nuts next to each screw. These should be loose when adjusting and snicked up pinch tight when finished :hello2:

Brantuk's description is right on - I have the US version (lasermade deluxe from Orion USA) and it works as you say, like playing laser golf.

It really is that easy, and makes it a snap to keep your scope properly collimated. Sounds like you're doing it correctly.

Dan

Archived