What do I need to connect my 1000d to my scope?

Can someone explain in simple terms what I need, I've been told once and don't get it!!

I saw this one:

49899d1296257174t-meade-62-t-adapter-meade-adapter.jpg

l in the for sale section that is sold. Is that what I need? I assume this screws straight in the back of the ota, then a focal

reducer and then the dslr?

I also saw this but don't know what I would do with it:

45364d1288532347t-sale-canon-t-ring-adapter-focal-reducer-canon.jpg

Any advice very welcome!!

Thanks,

John

Yup you go it - the top one screws straight on the visual back of the scope. But there's a thread on the open end of it - a T-thread. So you need to screw the bottom one (T-adaptor) onto it then the camera goes straight on that (without the camera lens). :)

John - you need a T-Ring specific to your camera such as the one at the FLO link below.

Adaptors

This fits to your camera instead of the lense. Then you need the adaptor that screws on to this T-Ring which is the size of either a 2" or 1.25" eyepiece depending on what your scope can take. 2" is always better if your scope can take 2" eyepieces as it reduces vignetting in you images. If in doubt - give First Light Optics a ring and they'll sort you out.

Regards

John

Thanks Kim.

John, are you suggesting a different adaptor to the top picture? I assume you mean one that goes in to my diagonal rather that the back of the ota. At the moment I am using a 1.25" diagonal so I guess I would be better with the adaptor above as this would not reduce my fov?

John's correct - I assumed the t-ring fits your camera - they are different for each make of camera so you need to check with FLO that you have the correct one first :)

(NB the spc900 doesn't need a T-adaptor)

The Meade adaptor in your attached photo seems to be one that would screw directly in to the back of a Meade SCT (Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope).

If you get the T adaptor that I referred you to you can then get either the 2" or 1.25" version - or both of course. They then just fit in to the eyepiece holder of your telescope. It will then fit to any telescope that has a standard 1.25" or 2" eyepiece holder.

Also - take note of Brantuk's comment that the SPC900 doesn't need a T Adaptor. I can't add to that as I have no working knowledge of the SPC900 but I see that you original thread heading refers to attaching a Canon EOS1000D to a telescope, so my advice is for that.

Archived