NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Adding Ha data to a LRGB image

Whippy

I managed to grab some Ha data last night for my M51 image and I've tried using Russell Croman's method but all I'm gettng is a turquoise coloured mess. Has anyone got a simple method to do this or a link to one?

TIA

Tony..

Looks for a post from MartinB about this.... cant remember how old it wa,s but thats what I always use for Ha addition to RGB images (including the APOD). I`ll see if I can find a link for you...

Hi Tony.

Not sure what the Russell Croman method is (I will have to go take a look).:)

But my method which is influenced by the fact that I use Ha data instead of an LP filter.

First create an RGB image and process lightly to get a good colour balance.

Then split the channels of that rgb image to produce three mono images one for each channel(channels/split channels).

Open and fully process the Ha data and add the result to the red mono image as a 50% opacity layer.

Flatten the result and the reconstruct the RGB image( Channels/ Merge channels/RGB colour).

Next adjust the colour of this new Ha/R-G-B image with levels and curves (mosts adjustments will be applied to only the Ha/R channel) to correct the colour balance back to as it was with the original RGB image.

You should now have an Ha/R-G-B image with much stronger Ha regions and in my case a lot less Lp.

At this point I do the same again with the Ha/R-G-B image this time setting the blend mode of the Ha layer added to the Red data to lighten at 100% opacity and push this Ha layer with levels and curves until the ha starts to push through the red mono image.

Hope that makes scene and helps.:(

Mike.

I do as Mike does but add the Ha to red in Blend mode Lighten. I may add a little as luminosity to the LRGB as well but rarely more than 10 percent.

Olly

I do that too Olly, the first Ha layer set at 50% on the red is too kill the lp in my colour images.Then I do as you do do.:)

Mike.

Archived