Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zenithstar 80 semi-apo: a new standard spec?

Hi.

I recently received a brand new William Optics Zenithstar 80 Semi-Apo telescope. I was pleasantly surprised when I got the scope as it was actually slightly different than the ZS80s that are often pictured and specified on most shop websites, and it was slighltly different to the specification that was provided in the manual that came with it. Usually, the Crayford focusser is advertised to have gold knobs, and is single speed. However, the one I got has silver knobs and is 1:10 dual speed (it looks very similar if not identical to the WO two speed 1:10 microfocuser retrofit upgrade). I also noticed one other difference between my scope, and the ones usually advertised. I am not too up on the anatomy of refractors, but if I am correct that baffles refer to the ridges that can be seen inside the tube, then mine seems to have just 8, and not the 15 that is often advertised.

I have tried searching the Internet for more information on this, but I have found nothing, which makes me begin to wonder if my scope had been abducted by aliens and modified whilst it was being delivered.

I understand from the review by Tom Trusock that there was some baffling issues (lol) with earlier models that caused the effective aperture to be reduced to ~70mm. He reports that WO resolved the issue with the introduction of a new baffle cone. Does any know if this new baffle cone has just 8 baffles and not 15? If not, does anyone know if WO has just slightly changed the standard specification of all ZS 80s that they continue to make?

Any info you might have would be appreciated.

Astroboy.

Archived