SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first attempt at capturing the moon.

shallowskies

Hey

I've been waiting a long time to buy my first telescope and I can say that I haven't been disappointed. The good people in this forum pointed me in the right direction. Anyway, tonight I managed to capture the moon. See what you think and let me know.

post-24545-133877547539_thumb.jpg

Nice. Very atmospheric!

It's fun photographing the moon isn't it?

I took some pictures a few nights ago and saw something I had never ever seen before, and it looks quite out of place. It was a straight line on the moon, and I was thinking....'how can that be'?

So I looked it up and it was RUPES RECTA - a 1000ft high by 67mile scarp (cliff). It's only possible to see it for a few days each month - 1 day after First Quarter and 1 day after last Quarter.

I used 'Virtual Moon Atlas' programme, which is great and free to download - excellent to help you quickly navigate and find out stuff.

Cheers

Thanks Mike. I'm very much the novice when it comes to astronomy. Everytime I look through my scope I'm seeing something new. I will check out Virtual Moon Atlas. I would like to know what I am looking at. I would be very interested in seeing some of the pictures you got of Rupes Recta.

I would be very interested in seeing some of the pictures you got of Rupes Recta.

Haha, so would I. But for some reason I can't get my laptop to recognise my Canon. I've had this problem in the past with Microsoft Vista. grrrrrrrr.

Archived