help! new to astronomy (and i think something is wrong with my EQ mount)

Hi guys! I'm absolutely new to this kind of thing. But I have always had a fascination with stars.

I've had a Sky Scope 1000DX for the longest time (it was a gift many years ago) and I just assembled it an hour ago. Because I don't know anything about telescopes I read up on it. I found out what I have is an equatorial mount but I realized one part (the one with the latitude scale, i guess?) won't budge. I tried lubricating it with some gun oil but it still won't move. What should I do?

I also tried to look for a manual online but all that came up were some japanase auction sites. I can't find the manuals which were also in japanese. So I don't know anything about my telescope. I was hoping someone could enlighten me what I can and cannot do with this scope.

Thanks! :o

Two easy reasons come to mind - and no more 'gun oil' for the moment, eh? :)

1. all EQ mounts come with some sort of clutch lock that releases each axis to either rotate freely, or forces it to lock into the motor drive. Obviously - if you are locked into a drive (either a motor drive, or a hand-turned worm gear slow motion system) forcing the mount to move can be very bad! :o See if you can release the locks - usually small levers that rotate (righty-tighty, lefty-lucy, yes?) Loosen these and see if that helps.

2. If this has been in the closet for a very long time - I suppose lubricating grease could have hardened and frozen the mount - likewise with corrosion on the internal bearings and such. But unless the mount was stored someplace very damp or otherwise nasty, this is not a likely scenario.

Photos would be helpful here! :(

Dan

If its the latitude scale, what is it set at? and what do you want it to be set at?

The latitude bolt alters the entire mount so it is suitable for your location (latitude), I found it really difficult to turn this bolt in one direction because the mount and telescope weight sits on it, try lifting (rotating) the whole telescope so the latitude bolt is not bearing the weight and trning the bolt.

The bolt could also be seized into the mount in which case WD40 or equivalent sprayed on and left overnight may loosen it. Try a pair of mole grips to give extra leverage.

the latitude scale has a bolt above and a bolt below to allow the dial to be set at your latitude (mine is 53 degrees in Manchester) and then left alone. to get the mount to the right latitude you would be better taking everything off the mount (weights and scope) and then setting it - much easier that way. you then have two axes which will be released by a clutch lever (declination - broadly up and down and right ascension - broadly right to left. the declination one is the one with the weight bar sticking out the end).

Archived